Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: BPT Products Inc. (Sunland Park, NM) recalls various Beef Jerky products (1.5-oz pkgs; Est 40357M; Sell by dates between 2/16/2013 and 7/18/2013), due to undeclared wheat. The recalled varieties include: Cow Chips Dried Beef Original Flavor, Cow Chips Dried Beef Adobo Flavor, Cow Chips Dried Beef Adobo Flavor Hot Habañero, Carne Seca Nativo Dried Beef Adobo Flavor and Carne Seca Nativo Dried Beef Adobo Flavor Hot Habañero. They were produced on various dates between August 16, 2012 and January 18, 2013 and distributed for retail sale in El Paso, Texas.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Richard’s Hog Head Cheese, recalled by Stallings Head Cheese Co., Inc. due to possible Salmonella contamination.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Trillium Farms, LLC (Johnstown, OH) that a June-July 2012 inspection of the company’s shell egg production facilities found serious violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis (SE) in Shell Eggs During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation.
- Food Safety Recall: Canada Safeway Limited recalls LifeForce Foods brand Brocco Sprouts (85g clamshell containers; UPC 8 51042 00400 2; All codes), Spicy Sprouts (85g clamshell containers; UPC 8 51042 00401 9; All codes), and Alfalfa Sprouts (85g clamshell containers; UPC 8 51042 00402 6; All codes), because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled sprouts were imported from the USA and distributed through Canada Safeway stores in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall: Steen’s Dairy recalls Organic Meadow brand milks (4L; Code FE 05; 3.8% MF, 2% MF, 1% MF and Skim milk), Steen’s brand milks (4L; Code FE 05; 3.25% MF, 2% MF, 1% MF and Skim milk), and Hometown brand milks (4L; Code FE 05; 3.25% MF, 2% MF and 1% MF), due to extraneous material (metal) contamination. The recalled milks were supplied to retailers in Ontario.
- Food Recall: Dainty Foods, Div. of MRRM (Canada) Inc. recalls Dainty Cooked Rice – Pilaf (350g; Code 1081), Dainty Cooked Rice – Chicken (350g; Codes 1081, 1111, and 1151) and Dainty Cooked Rice – Primavera (350g; Code 1081) for unspecified reasons. The recalled products were sold nationwide.
- Allergy Alert (Scotland, UK): Scotty Brand Ltd. recalls Scotty Brand Scotch Broth Soup Mix (500g; Use by dates 29 January to 3 February 2013), due to undeclared peanuts.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Nicolas Vahe ApS recalls Chocolate and Orange Spreads (210g; Product of France; Lot #L1; Best before 18/7-2015) due to mold growth.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2013.0099): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of wet salted cod fillets from the Faeroe Islands; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning clusters involving four persons who developed diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and headache 2-3 hours after dining at a restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui on January 24th.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall website.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.