Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
For current information on retail distribution of peanut butter products recalled due to Salmonella Bredeney, please consult the Trader Joe’s/Sunland Peanut Butter Recalls tab.
For current information on retail distribution of beef products containing Canadian beef recalled due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination please consult the Canada/USA Beef Recall tab.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Alternatives, LLC recalls Harris Teeter brand Dried Apricots (6 oz pkg; UPC 7203670494) and Harris Teeter brand Dried Golden Raisins (8 oz pkg; UPC 7203670490), because the products contain undeclared sulfur dioxide.
- Food Safety Recall: Michael Gourmet Delicacies recalls Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, Vacuum Packed (4-oz, 8-oz and 16-oz pkgs; Batch #1443) and Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon (4-oz trimmings in plastic container; Batch 1443; UPC 93573 81729), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were sold in Whole Foods Markets stores in Florida during June 12, 2012 through November 16, 2012.
- Food Safety Recall: Stanley’s Market Brands, LLC (Toledo, OH) recalls Stanley’s Market Fresh Kielbasa (Case code S0011; Package codes ”30412,” “30512,” “30612,” “31012,” “31112,” “31312,” “31412,” “31812,” “32012,” “32112.”), Stanley’s Market Fresh Kielbasa (41-0z white freezer paper wrapped pkgs, each containing 4 links), Stanley’s Market Fresh Kielbasa (21-oz whote freezer paper wrapped pkgs; Case code S0071; Package codes 31012 or 21112; Produced Nov 5, 2012 and Nov 6, 2012), Stanley’s Market Fresh Kielbasa (bulk packages) and Stanley’s Market Smoked Fresh Kielbasa (6.6-lb vacuum sealed pkgs; Case code S0013; Package codes 31312 or 31012; Produced Nov 5, 2012 and Nov 6, 2012), because they may contain small (less than 5 mm sized) pieces of plastic.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Stuart’s Seafood Market, Ltd. (Amagansett, NY) that an October 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood producessing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns HKH JVC LLC (Honolulu, HI) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Pacific Northwest Tofu, LLC (Portland, OR) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s facility revealed serious violations of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Marine Foods Express, Ltd (Houston, TX) that an August 2012 inspection of the company’s seafood processing and importer establishment found serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert: Molinaro’s Fine Italian Foods Ltd. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Molinaro’s Supremo Dunn’s Famous Smoked Meat Pizza, frozen (507g/pkg of 3 pizzas; UPC 0 59949 09055 9; Best before/lot codes 13 MAR 14/258.12, 13 MAR 20/264.12, 13 MAR 21/265.12, 13 APR 02/276.12, 13 APR 03/277.12, 13 APR 04/278.12, 13 APR 12/286.12, 13 APR 19/293.12, 13 APR 22/296.12, 13 MAY 01/306.12, 13 MAY 08/313.12, 13 MAY 09/314.12, 13 MAY 15/320.12), because the product contains undeclared mustard. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Beary Berry Honey Inc. recalls Beary Berry Honey Mandarin Sesame Dressing (250 ml; UPC 8 75294 00053 7; Code 2013.09.20), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds and soy. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta.
- Allergy Alert: Coleman Group of Companies recalls Lee’s Luxury Mini Snowballs (200g; UPC 5 010082 142388; Code 28 DEC 2012 D), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. The recalled product was distributed in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Food Safety Recall: Birtch Farms and Estate Winery (Woodstock, ON) recalls Birtch Farms and Estate Winery brand Pumpkin Butter (110 ml and 250 ml jars; All lot codes), because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Indigo Books & Music Inc. recalls Cocoa Cones White Confectionery Drop Cocoa Cone (178g; Best if used by August 2013; UPC 8 98137 00388 5) and Cocoa Cones White Confectionery Chocolate Flavored Chip Cocoa Cone (178g; Best if used by August 2013; UPC 8 98137 00200 0), due to the presence of unspecified “non-harmful” extraneous material. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Walkers/Pepsico withdraws Walkers Lights Variety 6-pack crisps (6 x 24g; Best before 12 January 2013 and 19 January 2013), due to the presence of undeclared milk, resulting from a labeling error.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Raynor Foods Ltd. recalls Deli Creations Wensleydale Carrot Chutney Sandwich (Use by dates 20 November 2012, 21 November 2012, and 22 November 2012), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Nordiconad Soc. Coop recalls Mozzarella Letterie riunite Srl Carpinone (Lots 2172, 2175, 2176, 2178 and 2179), due to the presence of Aflatoxin M1 in excess of the permitted limit.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Mitica Food srl recalls Salati Preziosi Pop corn (90g; Lot 370; Expiry 27/03/13), Break Pop corn (100g; Lot 383; Expiry 10/04/13), Deco Pop corn (100g; Lot 389; Expiry 17/04/13), Salati Preziosi Pop corn (40g; Lot 399; Expiry 24/04/13), Les Bon Snack Pop corn (100g; Lot 411; Expiry 08/05/13) and Pik Up Pop corn (125g; Lot 390; Expiry 17/04/13), due to the presence of Aflatoxin B1 in excess of the permitted limit.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Notification (EU #2012.1604): Foodborne outbreak (Salmonella Bredeney) caused by peanut butter and peanut-based products from the United States; distributed to France, Italy, Norway and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1605): Excessive Escherichia coli in live mussels from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1606 & 2012.1607): Excessive benzoic acid in juice from Peru; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1608): Salmonella in frozen snails in butter from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, via Greece; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1609): Aflatoxins in maize grains from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1610): Mold in hazelnuts from Turkey; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1611): Histamine in skipjack tuna from Thailand; distributed to Ireland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.