Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Euphoria Fancy Food Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Dried Bream (Product of Russia; 7.5-oz vacuum-packed plastic bag; No code; UPC 7 930042 250954), because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled Dried Bream was sold nationwide.
- Allergy Alert: Scholtens Inc. recalls Granny Appleton Flavoured Pineapple Wedges (225g; All codes; UPC 6 79079 64330 4), due to the presence of sulphites. The recalled product was sold in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls Kettle Cheddar & Sour Cream Krinkle Cut Potato Chips (220g; Code 2012 NO 15; UPC 0 84114 11902 5), due to contamination with harmful extraneous material (metal). The recalled product was sold nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Itwal Ltd. recalls Popchips Sea Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips (85g; 13MA08; UPC 0 82666 71240 4), due to contamination with harmful extraneous material (metal). The recalled product was sold in British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.
- Food Recall: Shah Trading Co. recalls Suraj Light Red Kidney Beans (2kg; All codes; UPC 0 57197 33133 2), due to contamination with “non-harmful” extraneous material (insects) and microbes. The recalled product was sold nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La société Chevallier recalls Chevallier brand Neufchâtel cheese (All lots available for sale since 17/05/12 in départements 27, 60, 62, 76 and 80), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of stores where the recalled cheese was sold.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kattegat Seafood A/S recalls Capella smoked mackerel fillet with pepper (100g; Production date 08.06.2012; Best before 06.07.2012), due to mold growth on some of the smoked fish.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0845): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of fresh hake from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0846): Dioxins in organic eggs from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0847): Monoethylene glycol in wine from Italy; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0848): Unauthorized dichlorvos in fresh mint from Israel; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0849): Excessive sulphite in sun dried tomatoes from Turkey; distributed to Greece.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0850): Salmonella Tennessee in rape seed meal from Germany; distributed to Finland and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0851): Undeclared citric acid in frozen pangasius fillets from Vietnam; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (India): An outbreak of Hepatitis E has killed at least 12 people and sickened 4089 others in the western Indian state of Maharashtra, according to a BBC report. The outbreak is blamed on contaminated water from the Panchganga River.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Sixty tribal students at the Chayanpur primary school in West Bengal fell ill after eating their mid-day meal, according to The Times of India. The meal was provided by the school.
Australia and New Zealand
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Australia): Sanofi-Aventis Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) 1.5 mg powder for injection; multidose vial with diluent vial (Lot C3787AA/Expiry Aug 2012; Lot C3787AC/Expiry Dec 2012; Lot C3787AE/Expiry Feb 2013; Lot C3787AG/Expiry Feb 2013), because the product’s sterility cannot be assured due to an environmental monitoring excursion during the manufacturing process.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.