Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Bi-Lo recalls Southern Home® Cranberry Nut Antioxidant Blend Trail Mix (16-oz bag; UPC 0788003039; Best by March 12, 2013), due to the presence of undeclared soy lecithin. The recalled product was sold in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
- Food Safety Recall: Real Mex Foods (Vernon, CA) recalls El Torito Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad Kits (36-oz trays and 18-lb cases containing 8 x 36-oz trays; Est P-4140; Sell by 08/23/12, 08/30/12, 09/06/12 and 09/14/12; Item #24203), because the dressing contains cilantro that was recalled by Fresco Green Farms Inc. due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled products were produced between July 23rd and August 6th and distributed to Costco stores in California and in the Reno, Nevada area.
- Food Recall: On-Cor Frozen Foods (Geneva, IL) recalls On-Cor Gravy & 6 Salisbury Steaks made with chicken, pork and beef, Family Size (28-oz packages; Best by Jul 09 2013, 1912 11:__ EST 1044G), because frozen boneless rib-shaped patties with barbecue sauce may have been mispackaged and labeled as Salisbury steak products. The recalled item was distributed to retail establishments in Iowa.
- Outbreak Alert (Washington State): Thirty cases of Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections have been reported this summer, according to the state’s Department of Health. Commercial growing ares in Totten Inlet near Olympia, North Bay, and Dabob Bay in north Hood Canal have been closed for the rest of the summer due to the presence of Vibrio in the shellfish growing areas.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC and several state departments of health are investigative an outbreak of Salmonella typhimurium that has killed two people and sickened 141 people nationwide. Illnesses are reported in Kentucky (50), Indiana (14), Tennessee (6), Minnesota (3) and Ohio (3); other states have yet to confirm illnesses. The outbreak has been linked to cantaloupe grown in Southwestern Indiana.
- Food Safety Recall: Pure Hothouse Foods Inc. (Leamington, ON) recalls Pure Flavor brand Freshly Cut Grillers (14-oz/400g trays; Upse by August 11, 2012 through August 26, 2012; Premium Medley, Asparagus Blend, Rustic Blend, and Steak Topper varieties), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Christan Mark recalls Venetian Gold Leeks (6g; Code 161/11; UPC 7 73643 10103 7) due to extraneous material (insect) contamination. The recalled product was sold nationwide.
- Allergy Alert (Multiple countries): Damhert Nutrition recalls Damhert Nutrition brand Mélange à cuire sans gluten pour pain blanc et fond de pizza/Bake mix for white bread and pizza crust (400g; Expiry date 31/07/2013; sold 24/01/2012-10/08/2012), due to the presence of trace amounts of undeclared egg. The recalled product was manufactured in Germany and distributed in Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, France and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Edeka recalls EDEKA plums, half fruit, sweetened, manufactured by Landkost Konserven Reinhold Klemme KG (680g jars, drained weight 395g; Expiration date DEZ 2014), because the product may be contaminated with broken glass.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): Zidianakis SA recalls Fame brand carbonated beverage with orange soda (500ml; Lot 217062PO; Expiration date 26/04/13), due to excessive sorbic acid in the product.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1173): Aflatoxins in peanut powder from Senegal; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1174): Salmonella Mbandaka and Salmonella Montevideo in frozen beef trimmings from France/Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1175): Salmonella enterica and Salmonella Newport in frozen beef trimmings from the Netherlands/Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1177): Peanut traces in rice crackle from Australia; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1178): Salmonella in mechanically separated chicken meat from Poland; notification from Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1179): Listeria monocytogenes in salmon from Lithuania, via Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1181): Traces of milk in instant almond drink fortified with calcium from Spain; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2012.1182): Traces of egg in baking mix from Germany; distributed to Belgium, Denmark, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1183): Glass fragments in sauerkraut from Austria; distributed to Austria, Hungary and Slovenia.
Australia and New Zealand
- Herbal Supplement Safety Advisory (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) advises consumers that MMC Maxman IV Erection enhancer capsules pose a serious health risk and should not be taken. TGA lab tests have detected the presence of the prescription substance sildenafil in the product. Commercial supply of this product is illegal, as the product has not been assessed by TGA for quality, safety or efficacy, and the place of manufacture is not approved by TGA.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.