Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert Update: USDA releases Retail Distribution List for chicken and yam pie products recalled by Piccadilly Fine Foods due to the presence of undeclared shrimp.
- Food Safety Recall: Wegmans recalls Gills Onions Diced Celery and Onions (8-oz clear plastic container; Use by on or before August 3) and Gills Onions Diced Yellow Onions (8-oz clear plastic container; Use by on or before August 3), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products were sold in Wegmans stores in the Syracuse, NY area only (John Glenn, Dewitt, Onondaga, Cicero, Taft Road, Great Northern, James Street, Auburn, and Fairmount).
- Food Safety Recall: Stop & Shop Supermarket Company, LLC recalls Calico Bean Salad (sold on salad bar between July 18, 2012 through July 26, 2012), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The action follows a recall of the salad by Costa Fruit & Produce (Boston, MA)
- Food Safety Recall Update: US Foods, a foodservice distributor, notifies its customers that Gill’s Onions (Oxnard, CA) has recalled a number of processed onion products (use by dates on or before August 3, 2012), due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled onion products were sold under the following brand names: Gills Onions, True Leaf, Cross Valley Farms, Western Onions, and Wegmans.
- Food Safety Recall: Huxtable’s Kitchen (Vernon, CA) recalls Trader Joe’s BBQ Chicken Salad (14.5-oz trays; Est #P-11079; Use by dates through July 30, 2012), because the product contains diced onions that were recalled by Gill’s Onions due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recalled product was manufactured between July 20, 2012 and July 24, 2012 and was distributed to Trader Joe’s stores in Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California, Southern Nevada and Texas.
- Animal Feed Safety Recall: Land O’Lakes Purina Feed LLC recalls certain Purina® Honor® Show Chow® and DuMOR® Show Poultry feed products, due to the lack of added vitamin D. The recalled feeds were manufactured between May 23 and July 20, 2012 and sold nationwide. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Ohio): A 4-year old girl suffering from hemolytic uremic syndrome remains hospitalized in serious condition, after attending a July 3rd picnic at Neff’s Lawn Care in Germantown. The girl is one of at least 75 individuals who became ill; 18 of the outbreak victims are confirmed to have been infected with E. coli O157. Two other victims also were hospitalized – a 14-year old male who was in serious condition but has since been released, and a 73-year old man who died on July 24th.
- Outbreak Alert Update (New York): Onondaga County health officials have documented 69 cases of Shigella infections, up from the previous reported total of 45, according to Food Safety News. The source of the outbreak is still undetermined.
- Allergy Alert: Montreal Kosher (Montreal, QC) recalls Montreal Kosher Potato Knish (283g and 454g sizes; All lot codes), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert Update (UK): The Food Standards Agency has learned from Italian authorities that 60 jars of Divini d Chicco Francesco Olive Bella Di Cerignola (580g; Best before 10 June 2014; Lot #161/11) were distributed to a single UK supplier. The UK supplier distributed the product to three independent delicatessens in the UK between July 2011 and July 2012, and has since visited these delicatessens to remove remaining stock from sale. A jar of the Italian-produced olives has been implicated in a single case of botulism poisoning.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): HK Ruokatalo Oy recalls HK Kabanossi Sipuli (400g; Best before 28/07/2012), because the product may contain a small amount of undeclared cheese.
- Allergy Alert (Greece): Bazaar AE recalls Appassionato Sorbet Cassis Black Currant (550g; Lot #112688; Expiry 11-2013), due to the presence of undeclared casein (milk protein).
- Allergy Alert (Greece): Moseskou Vir recalls Gusto raro Basic soya kuvertüre 40% (Expiry 04.12.2012) and Labooko Dark Chocolate 80% Peru Criollo (Expiry 10.11.2012), due to the presence of undeclared casein (milk protein).
- Allergy Alert (Greece): Santikos Costas & Co. recalls Balance Belgian Chocolate no sugar added 72% cocoa (100g; Lot L491; Expiry 04/2013), due to the presence of undeclared casein (milk protein).
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Univeg Belgium recalls certain Forestière brand SOJA and Wok products, because they contain soy sprouts that may be contaminated with Salmonella. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products and Best before dates.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Bottling Company recalls TEAM Denmark PLUS Sports Drink (Best before 14.06.2013), due to mold in some of the bottles.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Eckes-Granini Finland Oy Ab recalls Brämhults Apple Juice (1-liter and 0.38-liter containers; Best before 08.04.2012), due to the presence of patulin in excess of permitted levels.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Colruyt recalls Nice & Easy Soy Sprouts (500g; Item #29578; Best before 25/7/2012, 27/7/2012 and 29/7/2012) due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Delhaize Luxembourg recalls Delhaize Wok Soja (250g; Best before 26 and 27 July), Delhaize Wok légumes et soya (400g; Best before 27 July), Delhaize Wok chop soy (400g; Best before 26 and 27 July), Delhaize Wok mélange de légumes (400g; Best before 27 July) and Delhaize Wok légumes chinois (400g; Best before 27 July), due to possible Salmonella contamination in the soy sprouts.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1072): Benzethonium chloride in food supplement from the United Kingdom, via Bulgaria; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.1073): Excessive Enterobacteriaceae in meat meal from the United Kingdom; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1075): Salmonella Group E1 in soybean sprouts from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, France and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1077): Histamine in canned sardines in vegetable oil from Morocco; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1078): Unauthorized clenbuterol and phenylbutazone in chilled deboned horse meat and frozen deboned horse meat from Canada; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1079): Histamine in chilled yellow fin tuna from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1080): Salmonella enteritidis in frozen raw chicken from Poland; distributed to France.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.1081): Arsenic and lead in food supplement from the USA; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.1082): Metal pieces in chilled ready-to-eat horse meat sausage from Belgium; distributed to France.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection reports a lab-confirmed case of cholera involving a 62-year old woman who traveled to India between June 14 and July 19, and who developed diarrhea since July 20th. The woman was treated in hospital and discharged the following day. This is the first confirmed case of cholera in Hong Kong in 2012.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): VIC State Distributors recalls Kanga Kandy Choc Winter Mix (400g clear bag; Best before 17/05/2013), due to the presence of undeclared almonds. The recalled product was sold in IGA Supermarkets, Foodworks and other independent supermarkets in rural Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.