Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Healthy People Co. recalls all lot numbers of the following products, due to the presence of the prescription drugs Sibutramine and Tadalafil: Mince Belle (30 capsules; UPC 7503013203305), Everlax (30 capsules; UPC 7503013203046), Ever Slim (30 capsules; UPC 7503013203053), Ever Slim Shake Mix – Strawberry (17.6 oz; UPC 7503013203084), Ever Slim Shake Mix – Chocolate (17.6 oz; UPC 7503013203077), Acai-Man Mangosteen Herbal Drink (16.6 oz; UPC 7503013203015), and Perfect Men (10 capsules; UPC7503013203190).
- FDA Enforcement Action: A federal court has granted FDA a permanent injunction preventing Daniel L. Allgyer and his Rainbow Acres Farm from distributing raw milk and raw milk products in final package form for human consumption across state lines. The FDA sought the injunction against Allgyer after documenting multiple and repeated violations of federal law. The agency issued a warning letter to Allgyer in April 2010, informing him of these violations and requesting that he take corrective measures to avoid regulatory action. Despite such warning, Allgyer continued to operate in violation of federal law.
- Allergy Alert: IGA – Marchés Pépin inc (Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC) recalls several ready-to-eat products due to the presence of undeclared soy, sesame, milk and/or wheat. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall: Fromagerie du Pied-de-Vent Inc. recalls Fromagerie du Pied-de-Vent Fromage au Lait Cru à Pâte Molle Affiné en Surface (1kg; Date Code 10 12 2011), due to contamination with Staphylococcus aureus. The recalled cheese was distributed in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Charcuterie La Tour Eiffel (Blainville, QC) recalls Tour Eiffel brand Parisian Cooked Ham, because the product may be contaminated with dangerous bacteria or parasites. The recalled product was sold from deli counters at certain Sobeys stores (including IGA and IGA extra) and Metro stores (including Metro and Marché Richelieu) as well as certain independent grocers and delicatessens in Quebec between February 10 and 21, 2012.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Waitrose recalls Waitrose Gammon in Parsley Sauce (400g; Use by 23 February 2012), because the product may contain haddock instead of gammon.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): Migros recalls Tail-on Cooked Shrimp (500g; Raised in Indonesia; Sell by dates 19.02.2012 – 23.02.2012 inclusive; Consume by dates of 20.02.2012 – 24.02.2012, inclusive), after internal quality control tests reveals the presence of pathogenic Listeria.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): B. Braun Medical, S.A. recalls a number of Nutriflex products for infusion, due to the detection of particles in the products. Please refer to the recall notice for additional details.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0267): Absence of health mark on fresh eggs from Poland; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0268): Mercury in frozen fish from Madagascar; distributed to France.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2012.0269): Incorrect labeling on ampoules of Vitamin C from Spain; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0270): Mercury in frozen fillets of swordfish with skin from Vietnam, via the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0271): Excessive benzoic acid, undeclared caffeine in, and insufficient labeling of, energy drink from Japan; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2012.0272): Unauthorized morpholine in plums from the United States; distributed to Austria and the Czech Republic.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2012.0273): Arsenic in sea algae meal from France; distributed to Austria.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- OTC Medical Device Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Coloplast (Hong Kong) Limited recalls Biatain Ibu dressing (Product of Denmark), as the product contains Ibuprofen, and has not been registered as a pharmaceutical product. The recall was initiated at the instruction of the Hong Kong Department of Health.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Oriental Merchant Pty Ltd recalls Koh-Kae Peanuts Coconut Cream Flavour Coated (125g and 265g orange tin cans; All Best before dates; Product of Thailand), due to the presence of undeclared milk and egg. The recalled products were sold nationally at Woolworths, Coles and IGA supermarkets, Asian grocery stores and other independent outlets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.